Copibec, whose official name is Société québécoise de gestion collective des droits de reproduction, was created in November 1997.
Copibec is a non-profit social enterprise (sometimes referred to as a social economy enterprise or business) that belongs to the author and publisher community. We offer convenient, customized solutions that meet the needs of users of copyright-protected content, giving them access to a repertoire (catalogue) containing millions of works published here in Quebec and all around the world.
Our members are Quebec groups representing the authors and publishers of books, magazines and newspapers. The Board of Directors is made up of equal numbers of directors from the author and publisher segments. In this case, the meaning of “author” should be taken in a broad sense that includes, for example, writers, visual artists and freelance contributors to magazines and newspapers.
Copibec launched its operations on April 1, 1998. In June of that year, it held its first Annual General Meeting where the first eight directors were elected to the Board.
- November 25, 1997: Copibec was created by its founding members the Union des écrivaines et écrivains québécois (UNEQ) and the Association nationale des éditeurs de livres (ANEL)
- April 1, 1998: Copibec launched its operations
- 1998: Association des journalistes indépendants du Québec (AJIQ), Fédération professionnelle des journalistes du Québec (FPJQ), Les Quotidiens du Québec and Société de développement des périodiques culturels québécois (SODEP) became Copibec members
- 2000: Regroupement des artistes en arts visuels (RAAV) joined Copibec as a member
- 2004: Les Hebdos du Québec became a member
- 2005: First reciprocal agreement was signed with the U.S. Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) covering digital reproduction by private companies
- 2012: Copibec’s online rights management system called Savia was rolled out
- 2014: SAMUEL, which stands for Simplified Access for MUltidisciplinary Education and Learning, was launched as a platform bringing together a wide variety of content in various formats that teachers can use in class
Copibec’s mission is to apply a collective management approach ensuring that the rights of authors and visual artists as well as their publishers are respected when their text- and image-based content is used.
Copibec is a valuable resource and essential partner for collectively managed content and copyright information.
As a non-profit social enterprise belonging to the creator community, our role is to pay book authors, article writers, visual artists and book, magazine and newspaper publishers the royalties collected from users of their content.
Copibec collects royalties from users in Quebec and from other reproduction rights organizations for content from the Copibec repertoire used outside Quebec. Our operating costs are covered by the 15% administrative fee retained on the royalties collected.
We offer customized solutions to meet your needs, including annual or pay-per-use (transactional) licences. Whether you’re an individual, business or organization, we can help you get permission to use the content you need.
Copibec also plays a key role in providing information about copyright in general.
The following groups are currently members of Copibec:
- Association des journalistes indépendants du Québec (AJIQ)
- Fédération professionnelle des journalistes du Québec (FPJQ)
- Regroupement des artistes en arts visuels du Québec (RAAV)
- Union des écrivaines et écrivains québécois (UNEQ)
- Association nationale des éditeurs de livres (ANEL)
- Les Hebdos du Québec
- Les Quotidiens du Québec
- Société de développement des périodiques culturels québécois (SODEP)
In addition to content published in Quebec, including books, magazines, newspapers, song lyrics and works by visual artists, Copibec manages an extensive repertoire (catalogue) of Canadian and foreign content under reciprocal agreements with reproduction rights organizations from 33 countries. The Copibec repertoire contains millions of works published here in Quebec and all around the world.
Copibec manages the rights for content reproduced using electronic media such as:
- USB flash drives
- Learning management systems and intranets
- Document cameras
- PowerPoint and Prezi presentations
Copibec also manages the rights for paper-format reproduction, including conventional photocopies.
Join the other 1 200 publishers and 27 000 authors who rely on us to manage their rights. Have us manage your rights!
Do you need access to content? Let our collective rights management specialists help you get the necessary permissions!