The education sector plays a crucial role in creators’ compensation
Copibec has completed its biggest payment of the year! A total of $7,336,641.06 was distributed to more than 2000 authors, over 400 publishers and 14 foreign reproduction rights organizations.
The payment was based on copy log entries received from 350 educational institutions (elementary and high schools, vocational training centres and adult education centres) participating in the data collection process, together with CEGEPs and universities.
The reporting period ran from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 at the elementary, high school and college levels and from June 1, 2016 to May 31, 2017 at the university level.
For your information, more than half of the documents reproduced in preschool, elementary and high school institutions were Quebec titles, while the proportion was nearly 40% among CEGEPs.
Université Laval: It will still take some time
As mentioned in our press release, the out-of-court settlement between Copibec and Université Laval was approved by Justice Simon Hébert on November 14.
There will be a royalty payment following this settlement but we’ll need to do an analysis and calculate the amounts before a payment can be made at the end of 2019. For more information, please refer to our Class Action page.
Do you have any questions?
- Information about payments or lost cheques: Suzanne Trachy, Distribution Officer
- Updating your author account: Simon Éthier, Rightsholder Services Officer (authors and freelancers)
- Updating your publisher account: Isabelle Billeau, Rightsholder Services Officer (publishers and visual artists)
- Changing your address or accessing your online account: Martin Saulnier, Receptionist and Administrative Assistant
- Information about elementary/high school licensing: Anouk Pérusse, Education Officer
- Information about college and university licensing: Nicolas Boudreault, Education Officer